It’s time to update those contact lists! As we say goodbye and thank you to colleagues who are leaving or retiring from academia, a whole host of new creative arts faces arrive, including many from practice are joining universities around the country. Here are just some of the recent moves to help you keep in touch:
Tertiary creative arts leadership
- Kate Cherry, former Artistic Director and co-CEO of the Black Swan State Theatre Company takes up the position of Director/ CEO at National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA)
- Steven Alderton, former Director of Programs, Exhibitions and Cultural Collections at the Australian Museum takes over as Director of the National Art School
- Founder and former Director of the Deakin Motion.Lab, Kim Vincs moves to Swinburne University of Technology to take up position as Professor of Interactive Media in the Department of Film and Animation.
- Composer, sound artist and musician Cat Hope has moved from WAAPA to join Monash University as Professor and Head of the Sir Zelman Cowen School of Music
- Bryce Ives is Federation University’s new artistic director, with responsibility for the Arts Academy Ballarat and the Gippsland Centre of Arts and Design
- Sean Lowry moves from Newcastle to take up position as Head of Critical and Theoretical Studies at the VCA & Music.
- Christian Lock joins UniSA’s School of Art, Architecture and Design as Head of Painting and Lecturer, Visual Arts.
- Mark Jones and Grant Stevens take up new Deputy Head of School appointments at UNSW
Teaching and Research staff
- Trevor Jones, former Associate Musical Director of the Victorian State Schools Spectacular, joins Queensland Conservatorium Griffith University as Lecturer in Musical Theatre along with international performer Karin Schaupp who takes up a position as lecturer in guitar.
- UNSW welcomes new lecturing staff: Fabri Blacklock; Scott Brown; Fernando do Campo; Stephen Goddard; Bianca Hester; Ramesh Nithiyendran; r e a; Kurt Schranzer; Diana Smith; Bic Tieu; Cameron Tonkinwise; and Karin Watson
- Independent social realist filmmaker and art director Grady Hancock joins Deakin as Lecturer in Screen and Design
- New CQU staff include Robert Woodward (Lecturer in Popular Music) and Karen Crone (Associate Lecturer in Acting)
- Marnie Badham has been appointed Vice Chancellor's Post Doc Research Fellow in the School of Art at RMIT to examine the rise of the social in international artist residencies
- Film Maker and creative director of the digital storytelling platform 24 Frames 24 Hours, Max Schleser has recently joined the Department of Film and Animation at Swinburne University of Technology as Senior Lecturer in Film and Television.
- CDU is joined by Canadian award winning avant-garde poet Christian Bok (Lecturer in Literary Studies) and Ioannis Michaloudis (Senior Lecturer in Visual Arts), creator and investigator on the application of the NASA’s nanomaterial silica aerogel in Fine Arts. Dr Michaloudis joins as two of his artworks have been selected to be rocketed to the moon before the end of 2017!
Thank you to colleagues for providing information. Information on new appointments always welcome for inclusion in future editions.